Thursday 23 June 2016

The Hotel Particulier: An Architectural Typology

Turgot map of Paris, 1734-1736

The Hotel Particulier, also known as a grand urban residence, is an architectural typology associated almost entirely with Paris. The Hotel Particuliers began to develop from 1500 to 1800, creating the fundamental basis for the residential sector of Paris.

I came across this typology when studying for my first year of Diploma in 2013/14, although it never materialised into a great deal for my own research, I found the topic to be interesting and I knew I would come back to it one day in the near future. I have decided to develop a number of studies on the various spatial configurations of the Hotel Particuliers, the relationships between the grand interior/exterior and in general the wider conversation of the solid and the void in the city. Through model-making and drawing I hope to grasp a firm understanding of these spaces both independently and as part of the greater context. I have begun with developing a number of drawings (still a work in progress ofcourse!) which I hope to share on here as soon as possible.   

The figure at the scale of the city - A folded out elevation and plan showing the vast
expanse 
of ground covered by the Place des Vosges, (140m2)
Above is a drawing of the Place des Vosges, a public space which has been carved into a highly irregular medieval street pattern. The design is a formal clearing which creates a strong juxtaposition against it's surroundings. The scheme was inspired by the Italian Piazzas we all know and love, the idea was conceived by the King, Henry IV. He hoped to harnass a zone for silk-workers to settle and practice their craft, in a bid to encourage a positive effect on the economy. The idea of the Place des Vosges was for it to be a vibrant public space housed amongst commercial enterprise for the city.


Carving - Place des Vosges as a figure in it's historical setting of Le Marais